I originally posted this recipe some time ago on Tumblr after I tried it when my sister and her in-laws visited us in Auckland. The husband and I have since moved back to Malaysia, had a baby, and made this maybe once again?
Of course, I want to make this more often but it is much more difficult to get my hands on vegan marshmallows here, and the other ones we do get that we can have aren’t quite as tasty.
When I tried this recipe that first time, it was such a hit that I made it again in that short trip! My sister’s father-in-law – who is not so fond of chocolate – had three servings and still remembers it fondly. My sister said she attempted to make this – or a healthier version of this with brown sugar and atta – and while it was good, her father-in-law compared it to mine.
I am very flattered, I’m going to be honest. I’ve had so many people tell me they enjoyed it, or they want to try it. Finding the original version of this on Pintrest was a stroke of luck that I will forever be grateful for. The fact that it tasted SO GOOD even after adapting it to fit our dietary needs was such a win.
S’mores Milo Brownies
- 160g butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups Milo powder (or Ovaltine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons custard powder
- ¾ cup (Carnation) evaporated milk
- milk chocolate chips (or any other chocolate you prefer)
- mini marshmallows
- graham crackers (also known as digestive biscuits)
- Grease your 12×8″ pan thoroughly Or line with baking paper.
- Set your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the flour, Milo, salt and baking powder together.
- Melt your butter thoroughly and stir in the sugar to dissolve.
- Remove from heat when done. Add vanilla extract.
- Pour butter mixture into dry ingredients.
- Mix on low speed. (You can also mix using a spatula or a wooden spoon. I’m just lazy.) The mixture will be lumpy.
- Mix in the custard powder and the evaporated milk.
- Pour into your pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, break up the graham crackers.
- When brownie is done, take it out. Sprinkle your marshmallows on the brownie. Cover it with as many marshmallows as you want!
- Put in oven for about 5 minutes. Make sure you watch and don’t let it burn!
- Sprinkle the graham crackers on top.
- Sprinkle your chocolate chips on top of the marshmallows. (Unless you don’t want your chocolate melty. If you don’t, wait until the brownie cools down before sprinkling your chocolate on top.)
- Cut and serve. Try and keep yourself from eating too much.
- Fail from eating too much.
No, but seriously, this is simple and straightforward to make! Enjoy it. Savour it. Then go back and make it all over again.