I love fanfiction. I’ve been reading it since I was a teenager, and writing it just as long, even if I never posted those anywhere. It’s fun, and sometimes messy, and if you’re searching on Archive Of Our Own (AO3)? Usually tagged well so you can avoid triggers and other things that may make you uncomfortable.
More information and the full #Project14Lists can be found here.
Someday, I will actually sit down and write a more coherent post about why I love fanficiton with links to some of my favourites, and maybe even my own, but today is not that day.
Today is a day for a little bit of a messy list, because expressing my views is hard, you guys. I’ve realised I’m not that funny, or at least what I think is funny is only funny to a couple of other people.
I’m still doing this, I’m just not going to go very in-depth.
Reasons to read:
- I have a specific want in the show that wasn’t met, so say hello to my new obsession on AO3.
- To support writer friends who are writing.
- Hi, my favourite character is treated horrible/was killed off and I am in denial.
- All sorts of AU situations with my favourite characters.
- Look, I have an obsession with social media AUs and I will read any of them for fandoms I am in.
Reasons to write:
- I have a specific want that wasn’t met by the canon OR by the fanon, so hello I am going to try and write this.
- My brain had a thought about my favourite character/ship and now I can’t let it go and my friends are all enablers.
- Hi, my favourite character is completely not given the attention they deserve and other fics don’t do my headcanons justice so I guess I’m writing now.
- There’s no social media AU for this fandom that hits this SPECIFIC WANT I NEED so I guess I’m writing now.
- So – what if these two characters who never met in canon and who no one else really cares about met and fell in love? (I guess I’m writing now.)
Fanfiction has become less of a guilty pleasure and more simply just, pleasure. It’s fun and an escape, and I’ve made a lot of friends writing and reading it. There are fandoms I write for and fandoms I read for, and fandoms I imagine stories for but have no confidence in my ability to actually write for them. It can be silly, it can be serious, it can be so many things, and it is wonderful.
Does anybody else have an ‘I guess I’m writing now’ mentality to stories you can’t find online or is it just me?