I’ve spoken a bit about webseries in some of my instant to-read and handle with care editions, but I’ve not really spoken about my love for these adaptations. I feel like it covers a scope that movies and even television shows miss out on – these webseries’ allow for interpretations that cover race and gender and sexualities, and it allows for interaction between creators and fans on a level that is different from what we usually get.
So I’m not going to talk about all of that though, I’m just here to gust about some webseries that I love. There are many I haven’t seen, so for a more extensive list, I’d definitely make a more in-depth search.
- The Lizzie Bennet Diaries was probably what sparked off a whole webseries adaptation revolution, in a way. It is well-acted, and okay, in hindsight, one might find it lacking on certain fronts (race, sexuality), but they really got the Bennet sisters relationships right on so many fronts. (Also, admission that I only learnt how to make snickerdoodles because of this show.)
- Pemberley Digital, the brains behind TLBD also created Emma Approved, which was cute and fun, and recently came back for a short-lived season 2. I haven’t read the novel, but I plan to. Hopefully soon.
- Jules And Monty actually broke my heart, so you should let it break yours too.
- There are a number of things that have popped up about the creators and stuff of Nothing Much To Do, but it was a good show, and the Beatrice/Benedick chemistry was so much fun to watch.
- I rewatch episodes of Northbound when I need a pick me up. It’s overwhelmingly white, which the creators have acknowledged, but it is fun and cute, and their Henry Tilney is the greatest thing.
- There was a rushed end to this webseries because of behind the scenes issues, but An Autobiography Of Jane Eyre was well-acted and made me emphatise with her so much.
- The Cate Morland Chronicles is about a fangirl who gets her dream job and meets her favourite actor and they fall in love, and honestly, the dream is real.
Of course, there are more series that I am sure are fun to watch, but these are my favourites, and the ones I go back to when I need a pick me up. If you have one you think I would enjoy, let me know!