It is very rare that I come across a cookie recipe that I barely have to adapt to suit my dietry needs. Even rarer for everyone in the house to love them so much, everyone who I’ve given them to adore it so much, that I make it almost every two weeks for almost two months.
These chunky monkey cookies are easy to make, and even easier to adapt to what you have on hand. Everything is done and ready in just about half an hour!
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 ripe banana, a little mashed or broken up
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup oats, rolled or instant works
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, vegan or otherwise
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, or any nuts of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Mix the peanut butter, banana, maple syrup and vanilla essence.
- Mix in the oats, baking soda and salt well.
- Slowly add in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Using a small spoon or scoop, carefully put the mixture onto a greased or lined tray.
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until brown at the edges.
- The cookies should not spread too much, and unfortunately you have to wait a couple of minutes to pop one into your mouth.
My favourite thing about these cookies is how adaptable they are. I’ve used vegan chocolate chips when sharing them with a vegan friend, and normal chocolate chips when we didn’t have the vegan ones at home. I’ve used walnuts, and chopped almonds too. And they are so addictively yummy that you’ll finish your first batch so quick, you’ll have to make more within the span of two days!
I’m going to go make cookies now…