I’ve barely read all the 2019 books I want to read, and even some of the 2018 books I’ve had on my TBR, but I’m already looking at 2020 and eagerly anticipating so many books. These are only some of the books I cannot wait for, my full list is extensive and I won’t be posting that anywhere to keep my stress levels a little low*.
*Though, my stress levels are never low.
What I know of these following books comes from Goodreads mostly, but they sound right up my alley, so you know I’m excited!
- I am usually not a huge fan of Romeo & Juliet retellings, but These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong sounds so good, I cannot handle it. Set in 1920s Shanghai, the heirs of two rival gangs must work together to stop a monster from destroying everything they love. Honestly, it sounds perfect for me.
- There isn’t a full synopsis for Star Daughter by Shveta Thakrar, but it involves Hindu mythology and celestial bodies, and a competition to save the life of the protagonist’s family. All things I adore.
- The Kinder Poison by Natalie Mae sounds a little bit dark, and I love it. It is set in a fictional land, where the protagonist has been chosen as a human sacrifice for the land’s three heirs. It’s a fight for survival, and I’m sure there will be some twists and turns.
- The author of Jade Fire Gold, June C.L. Tan, is Singaporean, and I feel represented. But also, this is so my brand it is scary. The protagonist enters into a reluctant alliance in order to save her grandmother, and secrets abound.
- A large part of why I am excited for Anuradha D. Rajurkar’s American Betiya is the title. It’s not often I see a title with words untranslated into English for whatever reason. And this contemporary about forbidden first love and a large Indian family is something teen!me would have adored having.
Of course, there are so many good books coming out in 2020 and there will be more announced that I will be excited about, but these are some of the ones that have gripped me already. I cannot wait to read them.
What are some of the 2020 debuts you are looking forward to, Asian and otherwise?